Hotel in Andora
Perhaps founded by the Phocians, a people from Asia Minor, in the pre-Roman epoch, Andora has its historical heart in the prestigious village of Castello. An important place in the Roman epoch thanks to its strategic position along the Via Julia Augusta, the ancient layout of which can still be seen, in about 1170 it became the ancient abode of the marquises of Clavesana, who embellished it with towers and churches and built protection walls around the place. Subsequently it was sold to the Republic of Genoa and it began a period of peace and prosperity that lasted a full five centuries. Andora then became part of the Napoleonic empire and followed its vicissitudes down to annexation to the Kingdom of Sardinia. Going towards the hinterland one meets the plain of the Merula stream. The area is famous for the growing of basil and oil production. Every year the much appreciated products of the territory are celebrated at the Feast of Aromatic Herbs, Officinal Plants and Ancient Plants, and on the occasion of the gastronomic festival called Sale & pesce (Salt & fish). The tourist harbour of Andora, a Blue Flag one since 1975, is among the most modern and best equipped in western Liguria. From here excursions by boat start for the sighting of cetaceans in the protected area of the International Sanctuary of the Ligurian Sea. The sporting offer is very varied: from bowls pitches to a velodrome, a skating rink and a manège, as well as big opportunities for excursions to the hinterland.