Set in the hinterland between Savona and Vado Ligure, the ancient Aquilianum belonged to the Del Carretto marquises, who in 1192 ceded it to the commune of Savona; from the 12th century on, the territory has been divided into two parts, one coming under the commune of Savona and the other under the bishop of Savona. In 1385 it was ceded to the commune of Genoa, which in the 16th century put in a podestà (mayor), who however was subject to the governor of Savona. In 1797, with the Ligurian Democratic Republic, it was made a free commune. It is formed by two nucleuses, Quiliano and Valleggia, three mountain places (Cadibona, Mountain, Roviasca) and numerous villages. In the nearby Val Quazzola, along the layout of the ancient Via Julia Augusta, two well preserved Roman bridges can still be seen, as well as the ruins of three others. Quiliano affords opportunities for excursions on well signalled paths, mountain bike itineraries in valleys and on ridges and long rides on horseback through centuries-old woods. In the Pomo area there is a gym rock that is very popular. Among the products typical of the territory is Buzzetto wine, a dry white with a pleasantly sharp taste, and Granaccia, an intense red. In their honour Quiliano annually organizes a specific festival. Not to be missed are the Valleggia apricots, the extra virgin olive oil and the honey.