Bardino Vecchio is a hamlet of Tovo San Giacomo, in the Maremola valley, in the province of Savona. Situated 233 mts above sea level and 3kms from the chief town.
In this small community is the parish church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist; it is characterized by a a pinnacled XIV century bell tower in romanesque style. Along the road which links to the other village is the shrine of Madonna delle Grazie.
On top of a hill leading to the cemetery, dominates the ruins of the castle of Del Carretto also called "dei Folchi" offering a wonderful view.
Here are some suggestions by trekking lovers of itineraries to be done amidst the green of this hinterland province of Liguria:http://it.wikiloc.com/percorsi/outdoor/italia/liguria/bardino-vecchio
Borghetto is a welcoming seaside resort which also offers ideas for pleasant walks along the hill paths and excursions to the villages and hamlets of the hinterland.
The village, surrounded by a wall, was founded in 1288 by the wish of Albenga as a fortification against Loano. It got its name from the hospice of Santo Spirito which was established in the 12th century; a very influential convent from a cultural point of view and the destination of many pilgrims. A village under the authority of Albenga, Borghetto claimed a certain independance, and in the first half of the 1300s it became part of the Republic of Genoa. It became a municipality in 1797.
The historic centre, on the via Aurelia, preserves its original rectangular map, Large parts of the ancient walls have survived and are an integrated part of the village, the ruins of the two towers and the western gate are reproduced in baroque style with a characteristic recess dedicated to the Madonna della Guardia. The parish church dedicated to Saint Matteo dates back to the early XVII century; inside you can admire interesting works of art among which are the wooden statue of the saint by Maragliano, a canvas of the martyrdom of San Matteo by G.Badaracco where a view of a seventeenth century Borghetto is inserted and another canvas by D.Fiasella, depicting the martyrdom of Sant'Appolonia.
On the cape of Borghetto, surrounded by a luxuriant pine grove, appears the majestic Borelli castle, today a private property , built at the end of the 19th century where the Santo Spirito convent used to stand. In ancient times it seems that there was a roman villa and that there remains a small altar dedicated to the Matrone godesses. Not far from the sandy beaches and the town centre is the Val Varatella, an ideal place for walks or some horse-riding; you can also visit the splendid nearby grottos of Toirano.
Apricale,Imperia 59.4KM away
A leap into the past... into the appealing medieval hamlet of Apricale, a few m....
Ospedaletti,Imperia 61.6KM away
A 3-minute walk from public beaches at Ospedaletti, this modern residence offers....
Bordighera,Imperia 66.1KM away
The Hotel Parigi ****, famous since the early 1900s as the choice of royalty, of....
Bordighera,Imperia 66.2KM away
We are located in Liguria, in the heart of the Riviera of Flowers, a very charmi....
Bordighera,Imperia 66.9KM away
Residence Laura is located in a residential area, about 200/250 meters from the ....