Andora, perhaps founded by the Focesi, people from Asia-Minor, in the pre-roman period. has its historic centre in the eminent village of Castello . It became a very important centre during roman times thanks to its strategic position along the Giulio Augusta road, where the ancient road can still be seen. Around 1170 it was the ancient noble dwelling of the Marchese of Clavesana who embellished it with towers and churches and had a wall built around the village for protection. Following a war (1252), it was sold to the Republic of Genoa and a period of peace began which lasted for a whole five centuries , during which olive oil and ship-building thrived. After the great Europen events at the end of the 18th century, Andora became part of the Napoleonic Empire under the administration of Montenotte and went on to be so until its annexation to the Republic of Sardinia.
In the foothills there is a great romanesque bridge with ten arches, three of which are humpbacked, which recalls the millenial coastal route traced in medieval times along the Giulio Augusta roman road. Nearby, on the hill, there is a stupendous fountain of the same period and the 13th century church of Saints Giacomo and Filippo also known as "the gem" because of its magnificent facade ,its interior built entirely in stone and the imposing round pillars ; in summer it hosts an important classical music event. In the vicinity there are the ruins of Clavesana castle, and "il Praxo", seat of the Governor of Genoa. Also from that period is Porto Torre ,in stone ,which rises from the centre of a roman area of the II century AD. In front of the castle entrance there is an ancient little church called San Nicolò..
Leading farther towards the hinterland is the plain of Merula, also the name of the stream which flows towards Andora. This area is renowned for its basil plantations and refined olive oil; it is indeed in June that the Feast of Aromatic and ancient Herbs is held in the hamlet of Rollo. In May there is the exposition called Sale & Pesce (Salt and Fish), which appraises the sea and the hinterland by the tasting of typical local products. The marina of Andora has held the Blue Flag for its clean waters since 1975 and recent measures have made it one of the most modern and well equipped ports of western Liguria. Whale-Watching boat excursions to the international sea sanctuary of the Ligurian sea leave from here. Andora, moreover, offers numerous sport structures among which are bowling grounds, a recently-built velodrome, a skating rink and riding stables. There are also many itineraries for excursions along the numerous paths and tracks.
Varazze,Savona 55.2KM away
Hotel in zona centrale
Varazze,Savona 55.9KM away
L’Hotel Ideale si trova a Varazze, una delle perle della Riviera Ligure, ed è....
Varazze,Savona 56.5KM away
hotel a 100 mt dal mare maderno ed accogliente
Varazze,Savona 66.7KM away